Learn to play Ukulele this summer!
Imagine this, relaxing on the beach just lazily strumming your favorite little ditty on the ukulele. Why ukulele?
1. Its portable. It’s small and can be considered a carry on if you choose to take it on the plane. With the right case, you can sling it over your shoulder and since it’s lightweight you can take it anywhere and always be ready to jam.
2. It’s easy. Because its small and the way that the strings are arranged many of the chords only require one or two fingers. You can start with the one finger chords and go from there adding a finger at a time.
3. Strings are soft. The strings are nylons strings so you don’t have the ouch factor. Don’t get me wrong , your fingers will still be sore if you’ve never played a string instrument before, but it wont be as painful as learning to play a steel stringed guitar.
4. Chords are the same as Guitar Chords. Well not all of them but many of the chords shapes on ukulele are the same chords shapes on guitar. For example, the G chord on ukulele is the same shape (using the same fingers in the same position) as the D chord on Guitar. Because many of the chords are the same it is easy to progress from ukulele to a bigger stretch of the fingers for guitar. Learn the fine motor skills when you fingers don’t have to reach across 6 strings, then when you do have to reach, your fingers already know where they are going.
What Ukulele should I buy?
You can go too cheap with ukuleles. The problem is that many ukuleles are toys and they look very similar to real ukuleles. When you purchase those low end ukuleles, since they are merely toys, they wont stay in tune and many times you are unable to tune them at all.
However, you are just trying this instrument out for the summer and you don’t want to break the bank on an instrument that you don’t know if you will like, right? I totally understand. We have searched and played various ukuleles and these are our favorites and here’s why.
1. I was totally amazed by the quality and sound of this ukulele. Once I saw the brand name, I understood why it had such an amazing tone. Cordoba makes some of the best classical guitars with soft and sweet tone quality. It is a high end beginner instrument but it has potential to last a long time before needing to upgrade to a higher quality instrument.
Cordoba 15CM Concert Ukulele
1. I was totally amazed by the quality and sound of this ukulele. Once I saw the brand name, I understood why it had such an amazing tone. Cordoba makes some of the best classical guitars with soft and sweet tone quality. It is a high end beginner instrument but it has potential to last a long time before needing to upgrade to a higher quality instrument. With this instrument you will get the most for your money for the long term. I would even recommend this instrument as an upgrade to the ukuleles below. It is supreme to the extreme.
This incredible ukulele is 99.95 with FREE SHIPPING. It does not include a case so you may want to pick one up to protect your investment and to make it easier to travel.
Luna Tattoo Soprano Ukulele with Gigbag
Kala Makala Soprano Ukulele
3. Low end but still quality sound and easy playability is the Kala. This is a great starter instrument and the price is right but you wont have to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks. I got a similar version for my students to learn during general music class. The first weeks takes a lot of tuning and you have to inform your students not to touch the tuning pegs (the students tend to think they are supposed to be straight and try to "help" by turning them to align with the head. hilarious) but it tends to hold in tune and is durable. The price is right for buying a classroom set. I bought 10 of them and had the students sharing in groups of 2-3. These will work so well for any age group. Ive even taught ukulele to 3 year olds. There are so many nursery rhyme songs that only use the C chord (row your boat, it's raining, etc).
$49.99 brings this ukulele to your doorstep, FREE SHIPPING. I would recommend a case if you are purchasing this one for yourself.